Brilliant and very useful for FreeBSD, IMHO

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 8 17:22:12 PDT 2003

William Palfreman wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Johnson David wrote:
> > But when I hear stories of Lindow defaulting to a password-less root
> > login, I don't think that's the way we want to go.
>
> FreeBSD does that.  In fact, as I understand it, it is traditional for
> any new UNIX installation to default to a passwordless root login.

He means without a login prompt; it drops you directly into the
graphical shell with your credentials equal to "root".

This is what Windows does, too, FWIW, unless you specify a
network login; then, after you login as a particular user,
it drops you in with "root" credentials on the local machine,
and proxy credentials equal to the network login, on the
network.

Windows 2000/NT/XP force login as a normal user, or "admin";
"admin" acts like a particular network login, in earlier versions
of Windows (i.e. local "root" credentials, proxy credentials
relative to the node on the network).

-- Terry