Thinkpad t460 acpi issues

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 20:09:08 UTC 2021

The best way to support these keys is to use devd to respond to them and
dispatch to programs that can do what the key should do.

I wanted my new laptop brightness keys to work. pressing them had no
obvious effect. I created the following file in /etc/devd/:
notify 10 {
        match "system" "ACPI";
        match "subsystem" "IBM";
        match "notify" "0x10";
        action "/usr/local/sbin/L15-backlight.pl Brighter";
};
notify 10 {
        match "system" "ACPI";
        match "subsystem" "IBM";
        match "notify" "0x11";
        action "/usr/local/sbin/L15-backlight.pl Dimmer";
};
/*
notify 10 {
        match "system" "ACPI";
        match "subsystem" "IBM";
        action "logger Notify = $notify";
};
*/
and  trivial perl script (probably sh or python would be most people's
choice) to actually do the job:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use strict;
use Sys::Syslog;
if ($#ARGV != 0) {
  print STDERR "usage: L15-backlight.pl (incr|decr)";
  exit 0;
}
#openlog("brightness", ,);
my $new_bright;
my $notify = $ARGV[0];
my $curr_bright = `sysctl -n hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness`;
if ($notify eq "Brighter") {$new_bright = ($curr_bright + 4)};
if ($notify eq "Dimmer") {$new_bright = ($curr_bright - 4)};
#syslog ("debug", "Notify = $notify, Old = $curr_bright, New = $new_bright
");
`sysctl  -n hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness=$new_bright`;

This adjusted the brightness by 5% on each press.You may notice that the
adjustment is + or - 4, not 5. It turns out that the brightness keys worked
fine, but only adjusted the brightness by 1%.

Similar devd entries can work for other keys. The final rule and the log
statement in the script are commented out, but can be used to track down
which key maps to which event  number.

I should thank the person who gave me the technique, but I can't seem to
find the e-mail. My apologies to him.

E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com