proposal: set default lid state to S3, performance/economy Cx states to Cmax

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon May 12 00:40:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> cool!
>
> next;
>
> # pkg install intel-pcm
> # kldload cpuctl
> # pcm.x 1
>
> See what it reports.

OK. Any documentation on what this is supposed to tell me? Some of it makes
perfect sense and some baffles me.

I see C-states of C1 and C6 when on AC and C1, C3, and C7 when on battery
(and, of course, C0). FREQ vs. AFREQ look interesting, but I'm not sure I
really understand the implications. The last few lines, from " PHYSICAL
CORE IPC", are particularly mysterious to me. I can understand the words,
but I think that they carry more significance than is obvious, at least to
me. I'm not a hardware guy.
 --
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com