Emitting keyboard events

Anthony Jenkins Scoobi_doo at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 22:56:44 UTC 2014

On 05/01/2014 16:57, Xīcò wrote:
> Dear freebsd-acpi,
>
> Being a systemd refugee, I am trying to setup FreeBSD on several
> machines here. As a first question, I cannot find any driver to handle
> the hotkeys on a 2011 Sony VPCZ2. sys/dev/acpi_support/acpi_sony.c only
> contains backlight support for old laptops. Is anyone aware of such a
> driver?
>
> In any case, I started playing a bit with ACPI in a module, and have
> been able to register a handler for the hotkeys, and decode the
> associated events. Unfortunately, I have no idead of what I could do
> with them. At some point, I would like Xorg to receive keyboard events,
> such as XF86MonBrightnessUp, but I lack the knowledge on how to emit
> that from kernel space.
No idea how hard this would be, or if it's the right way to go, but I'm picturing an ACPI keyboard driver that consumes keyboard events from ACPI and can attach to the keyboard multiplexer device kbdmux(4).    Your ACPI mods for your machine would inject events into it (if it's loaded).  That'd be modular and pretty self-contained and could be extended to support other machines.

--
Anthony Jenkins