ACPI error messages on Lenovo W540

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Jun 25 10:08:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:00:35 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
 > On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:42:28 pm Eric McCorkle wrote:
 > > >
 > > > Does it not work in general, or does it not work after resume?
 > >
 > > Actually, USB seems to be working quite well.  It even detects an
 > > already plugged-in mouse during the ith resume.
 > >
 > > The sign of trouble are some messages that show up during resume:
 > >
 > > usb_alloc_device: device init 2 failed (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
 > > ugen0.2: <Unknown> at usbus2 (disconnected)
 > > uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
 > >
 > > There had been some timeout messages, which googling seemed to implicate
 > > was a USB 3.0 issue with lenovos, but those seem to have disappeared (I
 > > did do a kernel update).
 > >
 > > Maybe I should test USB 3.0-specific features to see if they are
 > > working.  Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with the gritty details
 > > of USB.  Any ideas for how to do that?
 >
 > There was a recent fix to acpi_pwrres.c that fixed USB issues on resume for
 > several ThinkPads because the kernel wasn't properly turning certain things
 > back on during resume, so if your problems were only with resume, then there's
 > a good chance they should now be fixed (and it sounds like they did after you
 > updated).

Well, this is most timely for me; I was about to query you and hps@ for
advice re debugging knobs to have another crack at debugging this issue!

Not nearly content to wait for MFC, I applied the diff-to-previous from
r267647 of /sys/dev/acpica/acpi_powerres.c to stable/9, which was clean,
so I updated source, applied the patch and rebuilt world and kernel:

FreeBSD x200.smithi.id.au 9.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-PRERELEASE #0: Wed
Jun 25 15:29:28 EST 2014 root at x200.smithi.id.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

After which I suspended and resumed 5 times, to be quintuply sure, and
yes, my 1GB SwissFlash stick - normally annoying because it has a very
bright red LED that's always on when the port is powered - lit up every
time, so the external USB ports losing power problem is fixed on mine.

However, it loses touch with a mounted UFS partition on the stick after
suspend/resume; I've never been sure if I should expect that to work?

Even so, umount, fsck then remount fixes it, so now my X200 is actually
usable in traveling-without-rebooting-for-weeks mode, so I'm happy and
am passing on this good news for all(?) Lenovo Thinkpads to mobile@ too.

Many thanks to you and trasz@, and I'm only slightly apologising for
riding alongside Eric's other video problem ..

cheers, Ian