sysctl hw.acpi.acline

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Wed Jun 18 09:51:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> There is no information in the ACPI Manual that the OID's are optional
>> and may not exist in some cases. This is exactly the problem, an
>> undefined and undocumented situation. Maybe its just worth putting a
>> note :-)
>
> OK, how about adding the following line?
> ----
> Note that this OID exists only if there is a ACPI Device ID "ACPI0003" in ACPI Namespace of the system.
> ----

Hello Mitsuru! :-) I wanted to ask the list and make sure, in general,
if OID can be optional/missing depending on the hardware capabilities.
It looks like things are like that - some other OID are missing as
well depending on the hardware. I think one general remark could be
put into acpi and sysctl manual pages, something like:

"Note that some OID will be available only if given hardware supports
them, on a different hardware these will be missing which means that
feature is not supported."

> Unfortunately, UPS is not covered by ACPI specification.  I think that
> new OID would be needed in generic place (not under hw.acpi) in order
> to get the state of power sources.
> In that case, hw.acpi.battery should be moved to new place too.

I thought acline would be such place - it is even specified in the
manual (unlike battery) :-) Now I know assumption must be made that is
acline oid is not available then we have a dekstop. But I dont really
like assumptions, thats why I prefered to ask first :-)

Thank you! :-)
Tomek