ACPI error messages on Lenovo W540

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Tue Jun 17 13:55:01 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to set up on a lenovo W540 mobile workstation I recently
purchased.  Things work well for the most part (including
suspend/resume), however there's some error messages that I suspect are
at the root of why the nvidia Xorg driver doesn't work, and possibly
also at the root of why USB 3.0 won't work either.

At suspend/resume, the following error messages show up:

pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.PEG_:
AE_BAD_PARAMETER
pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP1:
AE_BAD_PARAMETER
pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP2:
AE_BAD_PARAMETER
pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP3:
AE_BAD_PARAMETER
pci0: failed to set ACPI power state D2 on \134_SB_.PCI0.EXP5:
AE_BAD_PARAMETER

I suspect these might have something to do with the USB 3.0 system not
working, though I don't have experience with either the ACPI or USB
subsystems.

Also, the nvidia Xorg driver fails to work, and causes a similar error
message:

ACPI Warning: \134_SB_.PCI0.PEG_.VID_._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch -
Found [Buffer], APCI requires [Package] (20130823/nsarguments-97)
(the same message gets repeated about 10 times)

Again, I don't have any experience with ACPI, but this looks to me like
a vendor-specific quirk.

Any advice on how to go about fixing/working around this?

Thanks,
Eric