ACPI support - Freebsd 10 on Sony Vaio VPCCA3C5E

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Jul 15 18:22:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:49:46 +0200, Daniele Mazzotti wrote:

 > I made a few step ahead (at least on my side) and tried to follow the
 > recommendation from the handbook (
 > http://www.pl.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/acpi-debug.html).
 >
 > I was able to turn on the verbose boot and here you can find the output:
 > http://pastebin.com/kkDAZEVb. At boot time I can see an error stating
 > "battery0: battery initialization failed, giving up" which is thrown by the
 > acpi_cmbat_init_battery within acpi_cmbat.c module. After six retries the
 > error is printed out. Actually I am not able to figure out who is calling
 > the method, but that is another story.

Actually you'll see those messages on a 'normal' verbose boot, ie
there's nothing extra logged of note regarding battery issues.  If you
are up for lots more output on one boot at least, perhaps try what
acpi(4) suggests:

           debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_ALL_COMPONENTS ACPI_ALL_DRIVERS"
           debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_ALL_EXCEPTIONS"

which is less deep, but wider :)  Communications with batteries often,
likely usually, is moderated by the embedded controler (ACPI_EC) and it
wouldn't hurt to report any exceptions from other subsystems also. If
that yields nothing useful you could increase the level ..

Sorry, I can't read messages backwards very well, so I'll drop the tail.

cheers, Ian