HP Compaq 8710W Battery status problems

Anthony Jenkins Anthony.B.Jenkins at att.net
Thu Jul 10 21:34:05 UTC 2014

On 07/09/2014 13:12, Ron Freidel wrote:
>    I hope this is the proper list for this issue...
>
>    This is an older laptop, has the most recent bios update installed,
>    currently running 10.0-RELEASE-p14, have tried 11 as well. Err ahem..
>    Linux runs well on the laptop, and with FreeBSD everything works except
>    for battery status.
>
>    The laptop has a feature where there is an available port on the bottom
>    for an add on additional battery that I do not own, but I believe may
>    be the source of the issue, which is the lack of battery status
>    updates.
>
>    Plugged in and fully charged....
>    acpiconf -i batt
Isn't this supposed to be 'acpiconf -i 0' and 'acpiconf -i 1'?

[ajenkins at ajenkins-hplaptop /usr/src/sys]$ acpiconf -i 0
Design capacity:    3695 mAh
Last full capacity:    3695 mAh
Technology:        secondary (rechargeable)
Design voltage:        14800 mV
Capacity (warn):    180 mAh
Capacity (low):        108 mAh
Low/warn granularity:    264 mAh
Warn/full granularity:    3780 mAh
Model number:        EG04060
Serial number:        05453 07/15/2012
Type:            LION
OEM info:        23-17
State:            discharging
Remaining capacity:    41%
Remaining time:        0:56
Present rate:        1647 mA (23766 mW)
Present voltage:    14430 mV

[ajenkins at ajenkins-hplaptop /usr/src/sys]$ acpiconf -i 1
acpiconf: get battery info (1) failed: Device not configured

>    Design capacity:        4368 mAh
>    Last full capacity:     4368 mAh
>    Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
>    Design voltage:         14400 mV
>    Capacity (warn):        219 mAh
>    Capacity (low):         44 mAh
>    Low/warn granularity:   100 mAh
>    Warn/full granularity:  100 mAh
>    Model number:           Primary
>    Serial number:          45148 2008/05/12
>    Type:                   LIon
>    OEM info:               Hewlett-Packard
>    State:                  high
>    Remaining capacity:     100%
>    Remaining time:         unknown
>    Present rate:           0 mA (0 mW)
>    Present voltage:        16721 mV
>
>    sysctl -a | grep batt
>    debug.acpi.batt.batt_sleep_ms: 0
>    hw.acpi.battery.life: 100
>    hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
>    hw.acpi.battery.state: 0
>    hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
>    hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
>    dev.battery.0.%desc: ACPI Control Method Battery
>    dev.battery.0.%driver: battery
>    dev.battery.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.C1FD
>    dev.battery.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=PNP0C0A _UID=1
>    dev.battery.0.%parent: acpi0
>    dev.battery.1.%desc: ACPI Control Method Battery
>    dev.battery.1.%driver: battery
>    dev.battery.1.%location: handle=\_SB_.C1FC
>    dev.battery.1.%pnpinfo: _HID=PNP0C0A _UID=2
>    dev.battery.1.%parent: acpi0
>

>    Have tried forcing in loader.conf with no effect.
>
>    hw.acpi.battery.units=1
>
>    When unplugged the OS seems to recognize that the machine is no longer
>    connected to 110, the screen dims yet the battery status remains the
>    same till the computer either runs out of battery or it is plugged back
>    in, only way to refresh batt stat is to reboot.
>
>    By the way, here is sysctl -a | grep batt when unplugged for 30 mins
>    with moderate usage.
>    debug.acpi.batt.batt_sleep_ms: 0
>    hw.acpi.battery.life: 100
>    hw.acpi.battery.time: 75
>    hw.acpi.battery.state: 1
>    hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
>
>    and acpiconf -i batt
>    Design capacity:        4368 mAh
>    Last full capacity:     4368 mAh
>    Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
>    Design voltage:         14400 mV
>    Capacity (warn):        219 mAh
>    Capacity (low):         44 mAh
>    Low/warn granularity:   100 mAh
>    Warn/full granularity:  100 mAh
>    Model number:           Primary
>    Serial number:          45148 2008/05/12
>    Type:                   LIon
>    OEM info:               Hewlett-Packard
>    State:                  discharging
>    Remaining capacity:     100%
>    Remaining time:         1:15
>

>    Anyone have any suggestions? FreeBSD is my favorite OS, this keeps me
>    from using it full time my life style is depended on battery usage,
>    cannot afford a newer laptop. Just wish I could get this one thing
>    working.
For giggles, have you tried running the laptop on A/C power, disconnecting *all* batteries and seeing what 'acpiconf -i {0|1}'  and 'sysctl hw.acpi.battery dev.battery' says?

Anthony