ACPI errors on ASUS M5A88-M m/b

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 13 14:42:08 UTC 2012

On Friday, July 13, 2012 8:38:25 am Alexey Markov wrote:
> Hello, John!
> On July, 12 2012 at 15:38 you wrote to freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org:
>
>  ??>> Two days ago I have installed FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p3 amd6 on
>  ??>> ASUS M5A88-M motherboard with AMD Phenom II X4 925 processor,
>  ??>> and got some ACPI errors in the dmesg:
>
>  JB> Are you seeing any functional problems or just error messages?  I
>  JB> realize aibs didn't work, though it seems it simply may not support
>  JB> your system.
>
> I rebooted server from USB flash with Windows XP and installed ASUS
> ProbeII, it correctly show voltage/temperature/fan values. It seems
> that ASUS AI Booster in place and working in Windows. Also, manuals
> for my m/b mentions AI Booster sensors too.
>
> Except not working aibs sensors I can't see any problems yet.

Ok.  I think then that aibs just needs updating for your machine perhaps.

>  JB> The acpi_hpet1 thing just seems to be a duplicate device (acpi_hpet0
>  JB> attached fine), so I believe you can most likely ignore that.
>
> It's strange a little, why kernel trying to load second acpi_hpet0
> even without aibs device? But if it harmless, I just will take no
> notice of it.

This is due to the way new-bus works.  When you load a new ACPI driver (like
acpi_aiboost), all ACPI devices that don't have a driver are re-probed (in
case the new driver handles any of those devices).  This results in the extra
HPET device being re-probed as well.

--
John Baldwin