HP Pavillion does not power off

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 24 18:09:39 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 November 2009 05:41 am, Jerry Marles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a HP Pavillion desktop PC model g3001.uk. The problem I have
> is that halt -p does not power it off. The light on the power
> button goes off but I can hear that it is still running. If I hold
> down the power button for a few seconds the power can be heard to
> go off but then it boots right back up again. Windows and Linux can
> power it off successfully.

I have a hunch that your SSDT is broken.  In fact, it looks little
unusual.  Have you tried to update your BIOS?  You seem to have two
year old BIOS and it claims it only complies with ACPI 1.0, which has
been dead for many years. :-)

BTW, 'holding down power button for a few seconds' performs emergency
shutdown sequence, which is usually done without ACPI intervention.

Jung-uk Kim