shutdown via power button: "acpi: resumed at..."

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Mar 24 06:34:00 PDT 2009

I noticed that sometimes I am getting "acpi: resumed at..." message on console and
in system log when I initiate system shutdown by pressing power button.
I think that the cause is in acpi_UserNotify("Resume") call and this call is only
found in acpi_EnterSleepState().

I see the following code in that function:
    case ACPI_STATE_S5:
        /*
         * Shut down cleanly and power off.  This will call us back through the
         * shutdown handlers.
         */
        shutdown_nice(RB_POWEROFF);
        break;

So it seems that it is expected that shutdown_nice() would return immediately.
I think it makes S5 a special case comparing to other states where return happens
upon resuming from the state.
In this case, maybe it is not necessary for S5 request to go through the
resume/wakeup half of acpi_EnterSleepState.

--
Andriy Gapon