Is the C3 possible with SMP?

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 2 10:46:34 PST 2008

Hi.

I have tried to enable C3 state on my Core2Duo laptop and found that it
is not working good. System HZ timer stops during CPU sleep. After some
investigation I have found that it is due to LAPIC timer used for HZ
stopped during C3 state (same as during AMD's C1E).

So the question is: Is it possible (or planned) to make it work somehow?
For example, by using some external timer instead of LAPIC's one?

ACPI reports about 20% less idle power consumption with C3 state
comparing to C2. It would be interesting to get additional half an hour
on battery.

--
Alexander Motin