Acpi problems with HP 6501b

Dominic Fandrey LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Sat Feb 9 21:34:57 UTC 2008

Apart from there not being a specific acpi module for HP notebooks my new HP
Compaq 6510b GR695EA#ABD has some other problems. First of all there seems
to be a fault in the ACPI-BIOS, for it defines a CRT of 256°C for tz0:

Feb  9 21:46:37 mobileKamikaze kernel: acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd,
ignored (256.0C)

This message is quite uselessly posted every couple of seconds. I fear this
asks for one more addition to the quirks, for I doubt the vendor will come
up with a BIOS update that fixes this behaviour.

The next problem is that acpiconf -s # doesn't work:

# acpiconf -s 3                                      0 /root
acpiconf: request sleep type (3) failed: Operation not supported
# acpiconf -s 4                                     74 /root
acpiconf: request sleep type (4) failed: Operation not supported
# acpiconf -s 5                                     74 /root
acpiconf: request sleep type (4) failed: Operation not supported
#                                                   74 /root

The number on the right displays the return value of the previous command.

Here are some select sysctl values:
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
hw.acpi.s4bios: 1

I was especially happy about the last value. To bad I cannot put it to the test.