BIOS Regression on HP/Compaq [d]v6000 series notebooks

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Apr 28 11:26:27 UTC 2008

I recently received notification of a "critical BIOS update" for my
Presario v6107 laptop.  See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&docname=c01296338
for more details.  Since it's already had the motherboard replaced
(with symptoms matching those listed), I thought it prudent to upgrade.

Unfortunately, after updating the BIOS, the laptop no longer likes
losing mains power: It looks like the clock interrupts stop so nothing
happens unless you generate keyboard/mouse/network activity.  This
situation continues until it's rebooted.  This looks very much like
the 'C1E mode disables LAPIC timer on idle' bug that was stomped on
last April - but it seems that HP have managed to find a way around
the bugfix.

The laptop is running 6.3-PRERELEASE/amd64.

Any suggestions on how to start investigating?

--
Peter Jeremy