Problem with ACPI using Abit BE6-II V2.0

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Apr 25 01:16:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 03:42:36PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
>3. When booted with "verbose", there are steadily error messages printed on
>first console:
>
>	acpi: bad write to port 0x070 (8), val 0x4c
>	acpi: bad read from port 0x071 (8)

To quote sys/dev/acpica/Osd/OsdHardware.c:
 * Some BIOS vendors use AML to read/write directly to IO space.  This
 * can cause a problem if such accesses interfere with the OS's access to
 * the same ports.  Windows XP and newer systems block accesses to certain
 * IO ports.  We print a message or block accesses based on a tunable.
ports 0x070 and 0x071 refer to the RTC & CMOS RAM and are blocked but
it seems your AML wants to access location 0x4c.  FreeBSD prints out a
warning when in verbose mode.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 07:17:12PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 03:26:34PM +0100, Rui Paulo wrote:
>
>> The problem is that old boards have buggy ACPI implementations. It
>> might work on FreeBSD, or it might not.
>
>I suppose, if it can work on Linux, it can (and should) work on FreeBSD too.
>Why not, actually? On the same motherboard I tried NetBSD in versions 2.0
>and 3.0 - there weren't ACPI-related problems.

Different OSs will have different work-arounds for ACPI bugs and/or
will rely on different ACPI features.  It seems most likely that
FreeBSD is relying on ACPI features that are not working in your ACPI.

--
Peter Jeremy