powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Fri Jul 27 22:12:22 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 12:31:55 Nate Lawson wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
> > Hi
> > when I enable powerd with default flags (and any other also) the computer
> > freezes some seconds after powerd is started. It does not reach login.
> > Nothing in the logs. This is with amd 5000 X2 Am2
> >
> > When i stick into the same computer a 4600 or 4200 it runs fine and
> > smooth.
> >
> > I thought it is MB related and did the same and again the 5000 cpu
> > freeze, the smaller ones not.
> >
> > Any idea what I should do?
> >
> > I use releng_6 amd and i386 same story and cpufreq and acpi is compiled.
>
> Disable powerd again and boot normally.  Try changing the frequency with
> "sysctl dev.cpu", etc. and see if any of the levels freeze for you.

ok, this is what I get

dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2600/100000 2400/85596 2200/72544 2000/60778 1800/50237
1000/25535

no need to say but the fan levels obviously are wrong

And now the interesting part I shift to 2400 or any other and immediately
freeze, that from kde konsole

in single user mode I can shift up and down between all speeds and nothing
happens

then I payed more attention when it freezes on start with powerd_enable and
seems it is when the xserver starts

I see some similar discussion on stable but I can not match with everything
there because I have the problem only with the athlon 5000 cpu

any further idea?

--

João