apci_thermal doesn't send 0x80 or 0x81 notifies

Pietro Cerutti gahr at gahr.ch
Wed Jul 25 20:14:56 UTC 2007

Hi lists,
under heavy loads, my laptop's temperature reaches the
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT level, at which point it shuts down.

Passive cooling is not supported on my system:
# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling=1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
sysctl: hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: Operation not supported by
device

My idea was to write a little script invoked by devd when acpi_thermal
sends a temperature change (0x80) or trip point change (0x81) notify, so
I added these lines to my /etc/devd.conf file:

notify 100 {
   match "system"    "ACPI";
   match "subsystem" "Thermal";
   match "notify"    "0x80";
   action "/root/bin/acpi_thermal";
};

However, I noticed that the script is never called.
I added a device_printf(9) debug call at the beginning of the
acpi_tz_notify_handler function of acpi_thermal.c (line 752), but
nothing is printed where it should.

So my question:
is acpi_thermal missing the 0x80 and 0x81 notifies, or I am missing
something?
Note that 0xcc works, since the following is called when the temperature
reaches the hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT level.

notify 10 {
   match "system"    "ACPI";
   match "subsystem" "Thermal";
   match "notify"    "0xcc";
   action "logger -p kern.emerg 'WARNING: system temperature too high,
shutting
};

Thanks for any input!

P.S.