smi speedstep patch

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Mon Jul 16 15:43:00 UTC 2007

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 16 June 2007 01:09:27 pm Nate Lawson wrote:
>> Nate Lawson wrote:
>>> Hmm, I see it's no longer getting the physical address, just virtual.
>>> So need to fix that part.
>> Attached is the updated patch.  It uses the low kernel map where P=V and
>> fixes the callback.  I just need someone who is using smi-speedstep
>> (440bx chipset with pentium 3) to make sure the device still attaches.
>> Patch should work on 6.x and 7.x.
>
> Why do you need a V == P page?

I don't.  I was just trying to choose a range where I was guaranteed
there would be any mapping at all.  Aren't there some physical regions
(VGA, ISA hole) that don't have a mapping?  Thus, it's best to ask for
RAM at 1 MB+ unless the device has special requirements, right?

BTW, this is already committed to -current.

-Nate