Inspiron 6400 1505e Can't get passive cooling while in AC power

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Sun Jan 28 20:48:25 UTC 2007

Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> almarrie> Thank you for your kind prompt to help, but it didn't do the trick.
>
> almarrie> Jan 27 15:16:12 DELL root: /etc/rc.d/sysctl: WARNING: sysctl
> almarrie> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0
> almarrie>                        .user_override does not exist.
>
> It should be hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1.
> However, perhaps, it still doesn't work for you.  Your BIOS's thermal
> zone might not specify _TC1, _TC2 and _TSP correctly.  They are
> required for passive cooling.  Since, they are not visible through
> sysctl, you cannot change the values.
> If it is your case, please try the attached patch.  It adds
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC1, hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC2 and
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TSP.
> Choosing the values is an issue.  For your reference, my laptop
> (Panasonic Let'snote CF-R4) has _TC1=0, _TC2=12, _TSP=40.

Umemoto-san, while that may work for him, I don't think it's something
we want to support.  Specifying _TC1, _TC2, and _TSP requires a bit of
specific knowledge of cooling functions.

Instead, what about allowing the user to specify an absolute temperature
at which passive cooling will be activated?  On ASL that specified
passive cooling, the user could only set this temp to be <= the values
specified by ASL.  If they set user_override, it would allow them to set
any value.  Normal active cooling would still run if passive cooling
wasn't keeping the system cool enough.

I don't have a firm design idea, but I know that we want to avoid
exposing more ASL keys directly (_T*) and provide a more intuitive
interface.  I'd actually like to retire a lot of existing "direct
access" ASL sysctls before 7.0 and replace them with more user-friendly
versions.

--
Nate