ACPI problems on HP Compaq nx6325

Michele Heurs michele.heurs at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 23 16:25:35 UTC 2007

Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:49:14 +0100 Michele Heurs
> <michele.heurs at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>> Nate Lawson wrote:
>>
>>> Also, *which* patch are you using from the PR?  THere are a few
>>> different ones.
>> I first tried this patch:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/misc/idlecpu_apic_5.diff
>>
>> which alone didn't fix the problem.
>
> You got it all wrong. Apply the patch, set hw.apic.idle_cpu=1 (or 2).
>

>> Then I changed machdep.c as described by Ariff: (...) and inserted
>> this in loader.conf:
>>
>> machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=0
>>
>> Now it seems to work :)
>
> Backout this one. It'll hurt you much with the increase of
> heat/temperature.

Thanks for the advice. I have changed loader.conf and returned machdep.c
to its initial state and it seems to be working fine.

>> P.S.: Can this be merged into 6-stable soon?
>>
> This violate every sense of proper solution and will be left there
> dying alone as a poor man workaround.

May I then suggest that the proper workaround as described by Ariff here
ought to be documented concisely? Due to its length and complexity the
thread under

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=104678&cat=

is somewhat hard to understand...

Thanks again for the help! :)
Bye,
    Michèle

Dr. Michèle Heurs
Max-Planck-Institut für Gravitationsphysik
(Albert-Einstein-Institut)
Callinstr. 38
30167 Hannover
Germany