acpi panic

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 22 15:54:29 UTC 2007

On Sunday 21 January 2007 22:15, j w wrote:
> Hello
> I'm installing FreeBSD 6.2 (first time experience) on an oldish
> computer and got this ACPI panic when booting the install CD:
>
> ACPI APIC Table:  <ASUS P2B-D>
> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
> CPU Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (551.25-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x673 Stepping = 3
>   Features =
0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
> real memory = 536858624 (511 MB)
> avail memory = 511750144 (488 MB)
> ACPI disabled by blacklist. Contact your BIOS vendor.
> MADT: ACPI Startup failed with AE_ERROR
> Try disabling either ACPI or apic support.
> panic: using MADT but ACPI doesn't work
> Uptime: 1s
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
>
> Booting with ACPI disabled works ok, so no big deal
>
> I take it the "blacklist" warning means that this hardware's ACPI just
> isn't supported currently?

Yes.  We don't support really old BIOS versions as ACPI was generally very
buggy in older BIOSes.

> And what does the "contact your BIOS vendor" message mean? Is this
> something that can be fixed by upgrading firmware/BIOS?

A BIOS upgrade might fix it, yes.  However, if the machine works fine with
ACPI disabled then it might not be worth the hassle.

--
John Baldwin