ACPI problems on HP Compaq nx6325

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 21 23:32:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:24:45 -0800
Nate Lawson <nate at root.org> wrote:
> Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> >> I looked at this and the solution should be "don't use anything
> >> other than C1".
> >
> > Nothing else is supported on the nx6325 anyway, only C1.  So
> > that's certainly not the problem here.
>
> If nothing other than C1 is supported, I am almost certain the patch
>
> doesn't affect anything.  So what problem were you seeing and how is
> it  changed?
>
> >> Also, *which* patch are you using from the PR?  THere are a few
> >> different ones.
> >
> > The one with the "idle_cpu", it introduces the hw.apic.idle_cpu
> > tunable.
>
> That patch configures mixed mode so that C2 and above are supported
> while using the LAPIC timer.  Again, I fail to see how this applies
> to you.

The patch use either i8254 mixed mode or rtc timer to piggyback lapic
timer. The clock still driven by lapic timer. The rational of this
crude hack is because these X2 cpus support [1] C1E halt state and the
BIOS must not report C2 or C3 support to the OS. That is why
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported shows nothing but C1. Whenever HLT is issued,
we're dead unless:

1) disabling APIC (not an option, especially using FreeBSD/amd64)
2) drive the entire kernel clock through i8254/mixed mode (much like
   5.x) or other interrupt sources (hpet? not supported on us,
   confirmed), or rtc.
3) Use other interrupt sources, (rtc or i8254) to piggyback lapic
   timer (this crude patch, ugly but works)

[1] Section 10.2.4, "BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide for AMD NPT
    Family 0FH Processors"

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........