HEADSUP: default for hw.acpi.reset_video changed

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Jun 23 07:30:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 10:55 -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
> I thought this would be a small change (since the default was already
> supposed to be this way) but as usual with acpi, there is a lot of
> variation out there.  I think it's split about 50/50 between systems
> where enabling this feature is helpful/neutral and those that it is harmful.
>
> The default value of the tunable/sysctl for hw.acpi.reset_video has
> changed from 1 to 0 (off).  This means the BIOS video reset method will
> not be called automatically on resume.  If you want the previous
> behavior, set hw.acpi.reset_video="1" in /boot/loader.conf or
> /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> If a committer could throw the 2nd paragraph in UPDATING, that would be
> nice, thanks.

A note on reset_video from recent discussions I've had with Linux folks:

Up until recently was their reset_video equivalent (vbetool) being on or
off sounded like about a 50/50 chance of working or not either way.  But
apparently recently Linux started hooking in a reset_video from real
mode before going back to protected, and this works a lot better than
doing it with vm86.

As far as I understand, our reset_video hook in FreeBSD is done with
vm86.  If so, it might be valuable to try that method, if it might get
us something that works everywhere.

--
Eric Anholt                     anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                 eric.anholt at intel.com