FreeBSD 6.0, ThinkPad 600, dc0: watchdog timeout - ACPI?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jun 12 19:01:55 UTC 2006

> From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:59:41 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>
> On Saturday 10 June 2006 06:26, Fred Koschara wrote:
> > Hello John --
> >
> > I captured the dmesg output for
> >          ACPI, no boot fix
> >          no ACPI, no boot fix
> >          ACPI, boot fixed
> >          no ACPI, boot fixed
> >
> > The files are at http://fkeinternet.com/support/ where you will find a lin
> > to 20060607.London.FKEinternet.com.ThinkPad600.dmesg.files.tar.gz which
> > contains the debugging information.  In each case, I also included the
> > corresponding loader.conf file, similarly named so it will be obvious which
> > one is which.
> >
> > FYI, my immediate problem was relieved by information I received from Björn
> > König on the freebsd-questions mail list.  He wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I had a Thinkpad 600 and a lot of problems too, especially with networking
> > >and the cardbus. It received the impression that the chipset of the 600 is
> > >totally broken. The revisited successor 600E doesn't make so much trouble
> > >at all.
> > >
> > >Add the following lines to /boot/loader.conf, restart and see what
> > >happens. These lines solved some of my problems regarding unreliable
> > >networking.
> > >
> > >    hw.cbb.start_memory=0xd8000
> > >    hw.pci.link.LNKA.irq=11
> > >    hw.pci.link.LNKB.irq=11
> > >    hw.pci.link.LNKC.irq=11
> > >    hw.pci.link.LNKD.irq=11
>
> If these lines fixed things for you then that's the best info I could offer
> you, so I would just stay with those.

I can't say much about the 600, but almost all ThinkPads (back to the
500 series) allow PCI interrupts to be adjusted in BIOS using the ps2
utility. My 600E allowed the use of about 3 irqs.

ps2 is a DOS tool that can be run under Windows or be written to a
bootable floppy. It is how almost all BIOS stuff is adjusted on
them. The boot-time BIOS stuff is almost non-existent.

ps2 is available from the Lenovo/IBM web site.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)