FreeBSD 6.0, ThinkPad 600, dc0: watchdog timeout - ACPI?

Fred Koschara freebsd-acpi at FKEInternet.com
Sat Jun 10 20:36:03 UTC 2006

Hello John --

I captured the dmesg output for
         ACPI, no boot fix
         no ACPI, no boot fix
         ACPI, boot fixed
         no ACPI, boot fixed

The files are at http://fkeinternet.com/support/ where you will find a link
to 20060607.London.FKEinternet.com.ThinkPad600.dmesg.files.tar.gz which
contains the debugging information.  In each case, I also included the
corresponding loader.conf file, similarly named so it will be obvious which
one is which.

FYI, my immediate problem was relieved by information I received from Björn
König on the freebsd-questions mail list.  He wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I had a Thinkpad 600 and a lot of problems too, especially with networking
>and the cardbus. It received the impression that the chipset of the 600 is
>totally broken. The revisited successor 600E doesn't make so much trouble
>at all.
>
>Add the following lines to /boot/loader.conf, restart and see what
>happens. These lines solved some of my problems regarding unreliable
>networking.
>
>    hw.cbb.start_memory=0xd8000
>    hw.pci.link.LNKA.irq=11
>    hw.pci.link.LNKB.irq=11
>    hw.pci.link.LNKC.irq=11
>    hw.pci.link.LNKD.irq=11
>
>Regards
>Björn

Even though I am now able to get my ThinkPad to boot FreeBSD 6.1 (I
upgraded after solving the boot issue), I am posting this information in
the hopes that the contribution will help support FreeBSD on a wider range
of hardware.  I think FreeBSD is an excellent operating system, and will do
what I can, when I can, to further its development.

-- Fred Koschara

At 08:08 AM 6/7/2006, John Baldwin wrote:
>Please provide verbose dmesg's for the ACPI and non-ACPI cases and please.
>Preferably upload them somewhere and provide the URLs since the mailing lists
>often drop attachments.  Thanks!
>
>--
>John Baldwin

>On Tuesday 06 June 2006 01:19, Fred Koschara wrote:
> > I just purchased another ThinkPad 600 and installed FreeBSD 6.0,
<snip>
> > When I boot FreeBSD with ACPI disabled (option 2), it reports several
> > unknown devices in the PCI PnP scan (not surprising) - and the EtherJet
> > works correctly.  (Gnome comes up quickly, also.)  However, when I boot
> > with ACPI enabled (option 1), the EtherJet cannot connect.  I booted with
> > verbose logging, and noticed a couple of things:  There are 4 devices, in
> > addition to the cardbus device, assigned to irq 9 (which is the irq being
> > used for the network connection, from what I can see), and FreeBSD says
> the
> > cardbus device is 16 bits, not 32 bits.
<snip>
> > Please advise if any further information would be helpful in resolving
> this
> > problem - should I send the verbose dmesg output?  dmesg with and without
> > ACPI, for comparison?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions and support!
> >
> > -- Fred Koschara

Ignorance can easily be cured by knowledge, stupidity is generally only
cured by death...

Truth and Falsehood were bathing. Falsehood came out of the water first and
dressed herself in Truth's clothes. Truth, unwilling to put on the garments
of Falsehood, went naked.
(Author Unknown)

The "war on terror" is a sham:  There is no real protection against
suicidal maniacs spurred on by creative madmen.  In the end, the only
outcomes will be the destruction of the American economy due to pouring a
bankrupting stream of wealth into a bottomless pit, and the final
destruction of personal liberty in the name of "security."  (When was the
last time you were asked for "Your papers, please?" - er, that is, "License
and registration?")

FKE Internet, Web hosting for space related businesses<br>
	Domain registration - $15.95/year, $29.95 for 2 years
	http://FKEinternet.com

For private sector (commercial) space development, visit
	http://www.L5Development.com
For your daily dose of art, try http://PhotoByFred.com
L5 Software Development - "out of this world" sites and software
	http://www.L5Software.com
How much did your last traffic ticket cost you?
	http://www.StopHighwayRobbery.com
FredLines(tm), T-Shirts For the Thinking Mind(tm)
	http://www.FredLines-TShirts.com