acpiconf -s3 blanks and resumes immediately (Acer Aspire 5000 amd64)

Eero Saynatkari freebsd-ml at magical-cat.org
Tue Jan 10 19:26:51 PST 2006

On 2006.01.10 18:47, Eero Saynatkari wrote:
> HW:   Acer Aspire 5000 Turion (amd64) notebook,
>       PHOENIX notebios
>
> OS:   FreeBSD 6.0-stable
>

> Hi!
>
> I have not had success resolving my particular problem;
> it may be I am just not able to get the search terms
> right. Links to my config etc. are at the bottom.
>
> ACPI loads up seemingly OK after a small tweak to the
> asl (I was getting the ACPI-0438 Z007 not found errors).
> The asl does still emit a warning about a reserved method
> needing to return a value when compiling. The DSDT.aml is
> in /boot and enabled through /boot/loader.conf
>
> My problem is that regardless of how I attempt to suspend
> the machine (suspend button or acpiconf, console or X),
> the result is always the same: the machine thinks for a
> bit and then the suspend seems to work: the screen goes
> blank, the backlight is turned off and the HD quiets down
> but after a second or so, everything comes back on and
> restores exactly as it was. It sort of seems that the
> machine thinks it is being resumed immediately.

I got some more data booting with verbose logging (full
dmesg updated on site below). acpiconf -s 3 gives this:

  vga0: saving 68 bytes of video state
  pci0:2:7: Transition from D0 to D3
  pci0:3:2: Transition from D0 to D3
  pci0:4:0: Transition from D0 to D3
  pci0:2:7: Transition from D3 to D0
  pci0:3:2: Transition from D3 to D0
  pci0:4:0: Transition from D3 to D0
  ata0: reiniting channel ..
  ata0: reset tp1 mask=03 ostat0=50 ostat1=00
  ata0: stat0=0x50 err=0x01 lsb=0x00 msb=0x00
  ata0: stat1=0x00 err=0x01 lsb=0x00 msb=0x00
  ata0: reset tp2 stat0=50 stat1=00 devices=0x1<ATA_MASTER>
  ad0: setting PIO4 on SiS 5513 chip
  ad0: setting UDMA100 on SiS 5513 chip
  ata0: reinit done ..
  ata1: reiniting channel ..
  ata1: reset tp1 mask=03 ostat0=50 ostat1=00
  ata1: stat0=0x00 err=0x01 lsb=0x14 msb=0xeb
  ata1: stat1=0x00 err=0x00 lsb=0x00 msb=0x00
  ata1: reset tp2 stat0=00 stat1=00 devices=0x4<ATAPI_MASTER>
  acd0: setting PIO4 on SiS 5513 chip
  acd0: setting UDMA33 on SiS 5513 chip
  ata1: reinit done ..
  cbb0: [MPSAFE]
  atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0047
  atkbd: keyboard ID 0x41ab (2)
  kbdc: RESET_KBD return code:00fa
  kbdc: RESET_KBD status:00aa
  battery0: battery initialization start
  battery0: battery initialization done, tried 1 times

pci0:2:7 is SiS7013 PCI audio accelerator
pci0:3:2 is SiS7002 USB 2.0 EHC
pci0:4:0 is SiS900 fast ethernet

> I have also tried acpi.hw.disable_on_poweroff with both
> 0 and 1 as the value.
>
> shutdown -p  works fine but both acpiconf -s3 or -s4 give
> the result above. acpiconf -s1 gives a message saying that
> suspend was not done, acpi not ready yet. I have not tried
> -s5 but I can do so if needed.
>
> You can see the configs at
>
>   http://www.magical-cat.org/personal/data/freebsd-acpi
>
> The data there are:
>
>         dmesg
>         acpidump -dt
>         myasl.asl
>         iasl myasl.asl
>         /boot/loader.conf
>         sysctl -a | grep 'hw.acpi'
>         sysctl -a | grep 'acpi'

Now also includes dmesg with verbose logging and pciconf -lv.