ACPI S3 and S5 Problem with HDD on ThinkPad R40

Daniel Thiele dthiele at gmx.net
Tue Jan 3 06:23:21 PST 2006

Rechistov Grigory wrote:
> I've heard about some commands (atacontrol ?) which allow to spin down
> hard drive, so maybe we should just put them in shutdown script?

You can use ataidle (sysutils/ataidle) to put a HDD into idle or standby
mode, but putting that command into /etc/rc.shutdown will AFAIK not work
since /etc/rc.shutdown is called before the kernel syncs the disks at
the end of its shutdown process. So if you put them into standby mode
before they will spin up again for this final syncing.

I do not know if it is possible and/or reasonable to do all the things
that ataidle does to put a HDD into standby mode somewhere after the
disks are synced in the shutdown and suspend actions the kernel does.