Thermal problem on Compaq Armada E 500

Boris Hollas boris.hollas at informatik.uni-ulm.de
Mon Feb 13 09:29:42 PST 2006

Hello,

I have the following problem on 5.4-R with my Armada E 500:

After switching on, the fan starts and keeps running even at 0% CPU load,
albeit at low speed. sysctl hw.acpi.thermal tells me that tz0 ist not
active and tz0.temperature is about 27 deg Celsius, which is very cool.

Interestingly, the fan will be switched off if it has been running at
higher speed once. tz0.temperature is about 40 deg Celsius if the fan is
not running. After booting Windows, the fan will run at highest speed for
one second and then switch off. To switch the fan off manually, I
therefore tried to set hw.acpi.thermal.active to levels 0,1 or 2, which
had no effect. I always get the message

/home/boris# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1 -> -1

The only method I have so far to switch the fan off is to run some
CPU-demanding program and to kill this after the fan has been running at
higher speed.

The output of sysctl hw.acpi is

hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
hw.acpi.s4bios: 1
hw.acpi.verbose: 0
hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0 C2/100
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00% 0.00%
hw.acpi.acline: 1
hw.acpi.battery.life: -1
hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
hw.acpi.battery.state: 7
hw.acpi.battery.units: 3
hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 27.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 90.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 103.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 80.0C 70.0C 50.0C -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

The BIOS dates from 2002, enabling or disabling apm make no difference.