Kernel panic with ACPI enabled

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Feb 7 14:59:55 PST 2006

> From: "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd at gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:11:44 -0600
>
> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 14:33, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd at gmail.com>
> > > Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:13:06 -0600
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org

> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > It seems to me that eisa was an extension to isa and that most
> > > modern computers don't have an isa bus but have eisa bus instead,
> > > In fact I have a Gateway Computer (500Mhz PIII) that has an eisa
> > > slot on the MB. Actually most modern computers don't physically
> > > have a slot for either isa or eisa. Quite possibly either one would
> > > work. I have 'device eisa' in my conf, it's also 'device eisa' in
> > > the GENERIC conf which is why I mentioned it.
> >
> > While it is an extension of the ISA system, it is not something that
> > can be used with the same drivers as ISA. They are completely
> > separate devices. And almost all systems have ISA devices, even
> > though they have not ISA slots. For example, the mouse and keyboard
> > are ISA devices. In V&, ISA gets built into the kernel whether you
> > have it in your config file or not because too many people assumed
> > that they didn't need it and built broken kernels. Yes, it is
> > possible (and easy) to build a kernel without the ISA device, but it
> > requires modifying another file that is used by config.)
> >
> > Also, some systems will fail to boot if the EISA driver is in the
> > kernel. Rare, but becoming more common as EISA gets rarer.
>
> Thank you Kevin,
>
> Quite a good, simple, easy to understand explanation. So, since I don't
> have 'device isa' in my conf, but I do have 'device eisa', is this
> going to at some point become a problem? Do you think I should change
> that around? That I might be better off doing it that way?
>
> But, I think we are starting to get off-topic for this list at this
> point, and any responses concerning my questions would probably be
> better going to me personally.

What version of FreeBSD?

If you do not have /sys/i386/conf/DEFAULTS (it's there in 6-Stable and
Current, but I don't know for sure about 5), things will be very bad. You
won't have a working keyboard or an rtc. I think you would notice a BIG
problem.

If you DO have the file, (and your .mk files are in sync with it), it is
silently included in your configuration and you get the things in it
even if you didn't put them in your configuration. At the moment, isa,
npx, mem, and io are built into the system from DEFAULTS.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)