Kernel panic with ACPI enabled

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 12:13:27 PST 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 13:04, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 13:37, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 February 2006 09:48, John Baldwin wrote:

> > I have a few things. Is there a reason you have 'device apm'? Are
> > you trying to use APM and ACPI at the same time? Why do you have
> > 'device isa' rather than 'device eisa'? Where you, by any chance,
> > just re-using your conf file from 5.x? It kind of looks that way.
> > Have you looked at i386/conf/NOTES? There is some more information
> > in there.
>
> device isa is normal, and he probably just commented out eisa since
> modern systems don't have EISA slots.  The apm thing won't hurt,
> though it probably adds a small bit of bloat to the kernel.  If you
> have both apm and acpi then acpi will be used if it is present,
> otherwise if acpi is not present (or is disabled) then apm will be
> used.

Hi John,

It seems to me that eisa was an extension to isa and that most modern
computers don't have an isa bus but have eisa bus instead, In fact I
have a Gateway Computer (500Mhz PIII) that has an eisa slot on the MB.
Actually most modern computers don't physically have a slot for either
isa or eisa. Quite possibly either one would work. I have 'device eisa'
in my conf, it's also 'device eisa' in the GENERIC conf which is why I
mentioned it.

I also have a memory of APM and ACPI being incompatible - I think that
was from the early 5.x days, not sure, could be from earlier. But
commenting out "device apm' certainly wouldn't hurt since he's probably
going to have to rebuild anyway.

I think I would also ask: is he trying to do a custom kernel with 6.0
release sources or 6.0 stable sources? When I went from release to
stable things worked.

Other things can affect what he's trying to do and cause him to think he
has an ACPI problem. I had a bad USB mouse that was causing problems on
one of my computers, in fact anything USB on that computer caused a
problem with ACPI (it had to be disabled to allow the computer to
boot-up) if that mouse was plugged in, until I found the mouse was bad
and switched it with one that was ok. On another computer, I could only
boot-up if I either disabled ACPI or had the USB mouse unplugged. After
it was up, the mouse could be plugged back in and it would work, ACPI
would work, but I would be left wondering about the situation. I
finally decided to just use a PS-2 mouse and wait a while. That works
fine, although I hate ball mice.

Don