Sony VAIO - suspend/resume works, but SLOW

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Oct 5 05:30:32 PDT 2005

Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> wrote:

> - when in X, and I do acpiconf -s3, it does indeed suspend.  Resuming
> appears to be coming back, but my xwindows is locked up (no mouse
> movement, no screen updates, and a little screen distortion at the
> top - so a video driver issue?).  My caps lock and num lock keys
> seemed to work, but I couldn't break from X.  I think did the (not so
> smart) break to debugger, which left me in a state I couldn't recover
> from.  Reboot ensued.  I have a Radeon card in this laptop.

To handle this problem I put

acpi_video_load="YES"

in /boot/loader.conf and

hw.acpi.reset_video=0
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1

in /etc/sysctl.conf.

However there is an already known conflict between
acpi_video.ko and radeon.ko, if I load both as modules,
I can't use DRI.

If I put "device radeondrm" in the kernel, I can use
DRI, but lose the resume function.

> So two questions:
> When does one need the reset_video switch on/off?

I have it off all the time.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/