Worked in RELENG_5, fails in RELENG_6

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Wed Nov 30 09:12:09 GMT 2005

John Baldwin wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2005, at 10:50 PM, David Kelly wrote:

>>> Yes you could.  I did this the other day on a machine that doesn't
>>> even have a disk yet ;-)  acpidump is there.  Select fixit then  live
>>> file system (if memory serves) but you probably knew that !
>>

>> Problem solved, but I've been working on it too hard not to share  the
>> story which might be useful:
>>
>> Without hw.physmem="2G" its now finding the full memory load so I
>> don't know what was happening previously.
>

> Actually, this is the second report I've had that setting hw.physmem
> interacts badly with ACPI.  The other report I had resulted in a  kernel
> panic if it was set to 3G.

I suspect mapping the memory to read the FACS is failing for the
hw.physmem case.  His machine probably has tables at 2G (highmem). A
common location (other than < 1MB) is top of memory minus 16 MB.  I
don't know what setting hw.physmem actually does -- does it change how
we can map high memory?

--
Nate