cpufreq on 5.4R

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Mon May 30 12:34:35 PDT 2005

Takashi Inoue wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I'm using 5.4R on my ThinkPad X40 with Pentium M 1.0GHz.
> I have some questions.
>
> 1) I cannot find cpufreq.ko in 5.4R. Is it normal?
>
> "man cpufreq" shows manual of the framework.
> But I cannot use it.  Is it correct on 5.4R?
>
> 2) If so, what should I do to reduce cpu frequency?
>
> Now, cpu frequency is always 1GHz even with very light cpu load.
> Therefore it is hot and noisy and it eats much power.
> Currently 5.4R is stupid OS at here, if I do nothing.

Only acpi_throttle is supported in the 5.4 version of cpufreq.  I'm
hoping to get an MFC of the -current version in soon although there are
a couple nits I'd like to fix there first.

> 3) Does est and estctrl in ports works on 5.4R?
>
> I've installed and run them. But, frequency which est tells and
> sysctl -a dev.cpu.0.freq tells are different.
> I'm not sure but it seems that frequency is not changed.
> What is the relation between est(in ports) and
> cpufreq framework on 5.4R?

I'm not sure the port works properly with cpufreq.  A better thing is to
use the est.c from -current.  Or just wait for MFC.

--
Nate