Trouble waking up from zzz

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Mon Jun 27 13:22:20 GMT 2005

Mikhail T. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I know have two laptops, which can not properly wake up from zzz.
>
> I reported my Sony Vaio TR2/B last year, and was told, something
> is wrong with its ACPI coding, which the vendor (Sony) obviously
> never tested with anything but Windows (which uses "hybernation"
> anyway).
>
> Now, however, the I see the same issue with a much older PentiumII
> based Fujitsu-Siemens machine (dmesg attached). When used with
> 4-stable a couple of years ago, there was no problem waking up from
> zzz. Now -- with 5-stable -- the machine can not wake up properly.
>
> When I press the power button to wake it up, it gets busy, but the
> screen never lights up and there is no response on the network --
> the same symptomps, I saw with Vaio (which never had 4-stable on
> it).
>
> My guess is, something it wrong with ACPI suspend/resume, whereas
> APM-based would work fine. Is that reasonable and is there a
> work-around? Any other suggestions?

I'm wondering if you are having the same problem I am.  Mine appears to
fall into the debugger.  If after resume, when it's sitting there
apparently doing nothing, if you type 'call doadump' does it look like
it dumps to the disk?  The hard drive should run for a while, then when
it stops, type 'reset' and let it boot back up.   Make sure you have a
dumpdev line in your /etc/rc.conf before you do that.  If it gives you a
core file on bootup, then some of the guys on this list will surely be
able to help us.

Eric