Bad characters in Asus A8N-VM CSM

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sun Dec 25 17:35:05 PST 2005

On Friday 23 December 2005 22:44, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 22 December 2005 11:55, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > I just picked up an Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard. It's a nForce 430 +
> > GForge 6150 integrated mini-ATX job, amd64, very 1337 and new. That means
> > trouble
>
> [Following up on myself, for documentation purposes, and CCing -amd64 to
> warn off potential users there as well.]

Same warning. Experiments with 6.0-STABLE x86 (so, really, amd64 readers can
switch off) show the following:

1) 6.0-R x86 can be installed if ACPI is switched off.

2) With ACPI off, an interrupt storm will use 97% of CPU or so, so the
installation takes a long time. It may be worth digging out a 2x CDROM drive,
since I couldn't get a 52x to stay stable long enough to install from.

3) The DSDT is just so totally fscked on this system you need to hex-edit it
to fix it. I'll post a partly-fixed DSDT on a website if anyone needs it.
This causes checksum errors, but that doesn't seem to bother the system.

4) With the fixed DSDT and TFH "11.16.5.3 Overriding the Default AML" you can
boot with ACPI enabled and the interrupt storms will be over.

4a) Fixing the rest of the AML is beyond my ken, since it's got methods used
before definition (can I just move them up in the source file?).

4b) If that's fixed, then there's a bunch of If(SS1) statements outside of
method bodies; SS1 is defined as constant 1 elsewhere, so this looks like
it's intended to be conditional compilation, which the current iasl doesn't
support.

4c) If anyone else feels like looking at the ASL, I'll post it somewhere.

5) I just panic'ed the system while downloading portupgrade and accessing the
CDROM drive concurrently, so stability is an issue.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot