Disabling ACPI on IBM x330 fixes problems

Brett Gianpetro brettg at whatupg.com
Mon Dec 19 11:54:11 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm running a dual P3 IBM eserver x330 with FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.  A ran
into two problems after my initial installation that were both resolved
by disabling ACPI.

The first problem I experienced was an odd hang after this portion of
the boot:

ad4: 152627MB <WDC WD1600JD-00GBB0 02.05D02> at ata2-master SATA150
ad6: 152627MB <WDC WD1600JD-00GBB0 02.05D02> at ata3-master SATA150

It would sit there (apparently) idle for approximately 2 minutes and
then proceed to boot normally.  After disabling ACPI, everything booted
very quickly.

I started experiencing the second problem after I compiled in SMP
support. The problem was that I was receiving the following in
/var/log/messages whenever I would run 'top' or 'ps'.

Dec 14 20:31:56 foo kernel: calcru: negative runtime of -7248805 usec
for pid 46 (swi4: clock sio)
Dec 14 20:31:56 foo kernel: calcru: negative runtime of -7248805 usec
for pid 46 (swi4: clock sio)

Once I disabled ACPI the messages no longer showed up.

Is there a known problem or bug in this platform that would explain this
behavior?  I did some searching through the mail archives, but I couldn't find
anything similar.  If anyone is interested, I can follow-up with more
information such as the dmesg output from 'boot -v'.

Regards,

Brett Gianpetro