IBM R51 & 6.0 Release + Suspend/Resume?

Gregers Petersen glup at momu.dk
Sun Dec 4 17:43:01 GMT 2005

Dear All

I have recently acquired an IBM R51, with a 1400x1050 screen and 1 GB
RAM, with the intent of using it for daily work and activities (I not a
coder or anything in that direction, I just like the FreeBSD OS).

I started out with installing 6.0 Release running generic kernel - all
my hardware is supported and the various IBM buttons are working 'out of
the box' - and everything was doing very well until I began looking at
some of the common tasks of a laptop.

Suspend and Resume is somewhat of a problem (I have below listed the
additions I have made to the different .conf files):

----------------------------
sysctl.conf :

hw.acpi.reset_video=0
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3

----------------------------

I have enable Speedstep via:

rc.conf :

est_enable="YES"
estctl_enable="YES"
estctl_speed_ac="adaptive"
estctl_speed_battery=adaptive"

---------------

loader.conf

acpi_video_load="YES"
snd_ich_load="YES"

---------------------

I have added the following line to

rc.resume :

/etc/rc.d/moused restart

---------------------------

When I run the command (as su):

acpiconf -s S3

the system goes into suspend - and when I press the Fn button it again
comes out of suspend (resumes) - at first I had problem with a "dead"
mouse, but that problem was resolved with the above mentioned addition
to rc.resume.
BUT I still have problems with my network connection, which is "dead" -
and I'm not really able to bring it back to life again (without a
reboot). During most of my attempt at revieving the network the system
ends up in a compelte freeze ... ?

On the other hand - If I close the lid the system goes into suspend (S3)
- but when I again opens the lid the mouse + network stays "dead" (and I
can not find a solution to this problem) ?

----------------
I have tryed to add the following to

devd.conf :

notify 10 {
   match "system"          "ACPI";
   match "subsystem"       "Lid";
   match "notify"          "0";
   action                  "/usr/sbin/acpiconf -s 3";
};

------------------

Which did'nt help either (actually it did absolutely nothing to the
suspend and resume function)?

Apart from this I have some questions regarding the functions around:

hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage

which I just don't really can figure out in regard to tuning of power
consumption. cpu speed etc ?

The problem is that it seems that my cpu is running quite fast (the the
fan kicks in quite offen, dispite the R51 basicly doing nothing) ?

I just hope that I have been specificly enough, with the discription and
attempts at solving the problem..

sincerely

Gregers
(the anthropologist)