SMP opteron frustrations

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Thu Dec 1 10:59:08 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:41:07AM -0800, Isaac Yonemoto wrote:

> i'm having a bit of difficulty getting the cpufreq operating correctly on
> my machine.  It's a dual opteron 242/1.6GHz (ZMax DP) box running a
> freshly recompiled FBSD 6.0, SMP enabled in the kernel.  In my BIOS I have
> ACPI enabled and APM disabled.
>
> I have
>
> cpufreq_load="YES"
>
> in loader.conf, and kldstat shows that cpufreq.ko is running, however,
> wher I run sysctl -a I see no
>
> hw.powernow*
> dev.powernow* entries
>
> and
>
> dev.cpu.0.%driver="cpufreq"
>
> instead of "powernow", and there are no entries in dev.cpu.1
>
> running powerd on boot (in rc.conf) causes a total system hang 5 seconds
> after activation (just as I'm typing in "roo" at the login prompt).
>
> it seems like I'm missing the powernow device driver -- I saw powernow.c
> in /usr/src/sys/i386/cpufreq, but not in the corresponding .../amd64
> directory (not even a cpufreq directory there!) Am I missing something
> here, and why isn't sysctl outputting for dev.cpu.1??

Could you please post a dmesg from a 'boot -v' and a 'acpidmp -d -t'?
Note that the acpidump is pretty huge, so if you could put that on
a web page, or send this to me privately.

Also it would be helpfull to determine if the problem happens if SMP is
enabled.  Could you try an UP kernel for testing purpose only?

Cheers,

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.