ACPI differences 4.10 - 5.3, laptop problem

Espen Tagestad espent at totem.fix.no
Wed Dec 1 02:06:03 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:05:46AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf24  Stepping = 4
> >   Features=0x3febf9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,P
> > AT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM>
>
> Looks like the same processor I have and you can try adding:
> options	   CPU_ENABLE_TCC
> to your kernel. This enables the P4 Thermal Control which will let you
> throttle the speed of the CPU without ACPI. Use the hw.p4tcc sysctls to
> manage the speed.

No, this didn't have any effect on the coolers. If I set
hw.p4tcc.cpuperf_performance to 13 (the lowest available)
hw.p4tcc.cpuperf follows. But I can't see wether it's slowing down the
processor, and it certainly don't slow down the coolers :(

> Also, have you tried APM? It's far less comprehensive than ACPI and not
> very granular, but it may work. Just load the APM module in
> /boot/loader.conf and disable ACPI.

I tried APM too, but it simply didn't work. I can't even get battery
info from it. I didn't work much on it other than enabling it through
rc.conf and loader.conf. I tried apm -e 1, but that didn't have any
effect either.

regards,

Espen