System weirdness (followup)

David E. Cross crossd at cs.rpi.edu
Sun Apr 11 20:01:05 PDT 2004

Ok, since I put the hint.apic.0.disabled=1 in loader.conf I have been
noticing weirdness on my system, programs will randomly bus-error on
startup (I have noticed it with grep, dd, and md5).  It appears to only be
on startup, and only the first time I run the program (when it needs to
get it from disk).  Dmesg shows no errors (read errors, swap errors, etc),
and I doubt hardware because 1) It just started doing this 2) I have
ECC everything 3) it is always bus-error (not seg fault, ILL, or other
things that traditionally indicate hardware/memory issues, and 4) its only
at program initialization.

Is it possible that turning of the IOAPIC caused some sort of issue or
race withing the system?  It really looks like the error is a page is
attempted to be executed before its pinned; (like a fault occurs on one
CPU, and then the process is switched to the other before its pulled in,
and "boom"

--
David E. Cross