Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sat Sep 14 21:41:30 UTC 2019

"Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" wrote:
> On 9/12/19 9:47 PM, Philip Paeps wrote:
>
> > I should point out that the FreeBSD Project has moved to Subversion more than eleven years ago and is actively looking into moving to Git.  There is a limit to how much time any of us are willing to put into keeping a hack around two revision control systems ago alive.
>
> I didn't realize it was eleven years that FreeBSD moved to subversion.
> It was at this point that I personally moved completely away from CTM.
> I maintain CTM as a service to you guys.
>
> What are the barriers that stop you moving to subversion?
>
> I really like subversion, because it gives me the version control that
> CVS couldn't do easily.  The version control across many different
> computers is what made me like CTM, but when they switched from CVS to
> subversion, I found that subversion gives me everything I wanted, plus a
> lot more.

Although CTM's etymology from first authour was "Cvs Tree Mirror"
that now misleads, per my http://www.berklix.org/ctm/#what
"Code Through Mail" might best summarise it at 2018-12

CTM is now a means of delivering tree updates (Similar result to
to rdist6 & rsync & mirror, though those rely on different
functionality:  end to end live pull using ports some firewalls etc
may block, whereas CTM just pushes with SMTP, unlikely blocked)

Most trees we deliver with CTM are src-* releases, + 1 ports, + 1 SVN,
but surely CTM could just as readily deliver a GIT tree as an SVN,
as its already done for CVS too ?

Admittedly if freebsd moves to GIT, we'd need to tweak the server
scripts to do GIT export instead of svn export.

My http://www.berklix.org/ctm/#why "Why Use CTM for Delivery Instead
of SVN ?" may also misleading, accidentaly reinforcing the wrong
impression that CTM is just an alterantive to SVN. Its not.  I'll fix it.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Consultant Sys. Eng. BSD Linux Unix, Munich Aachen Kent.
http://berklix.org/brexit/#snouts_in_trough  Crash Brexit profiteers.