Philip Paeps philip at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 13 02:47:10 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-13 07:42:58 (+0800), Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Hi, Reference:
>> From:		"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com>
>> Date:		Mon, 19 Aug 2019 02:02:37 +0200
>
> "Julian H. Stacey" wrote:
>> Hi CTM users,

>>> Now carries all CTM delta mail lists also carried by
>>> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo
>>
>> mailman.berklix.org delta lists are all tested OK. I switched
>> to use them to maintain my personal copies of freebsd trees.
>>
>> lists.freebsd.org delta lists seem OK, though cant be sure of old lists as
>> ctm-src-cur@ at least still awaits un-moderating to remove manual approvals.
>>
>>> Info: http://ctm.berklix.org/#latest
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Julian
>
> freebsd.org has still not fixed list[s (*)] ctm-src-cur@ etc since
> before Sat, 17 Aug 2019. Delta pieces via ctm-src-cur at freebsd.org
> are delayed until moderators at freebsd.org manualy approve.  A sample:
>
> ] Your mail to 'ctm-src-cur' with the subject
> ]     ctm-mail src-cur.14189.gz 1/1
> ] Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
> ] The reason it is being held:
> ]     Post to moderated list
>
> (*) ctm-src-10-fast@ saw the same fault Sun, 25 Aug 2019, Maybe
> the fault is still there, as that was our last delta to that stream.
>
> (*) The same fault may or not exist on some other CTM lists, we
> won't know unless the generator emits new deltas, (which would only
> happen if freebsd.org's svn tree sees new commits to old tags).
>
> (*) I asked for access to CTM lists to check, but was ignored so can't inspect.
>
> I did subscribe the sender address & ask postmaster at freebsd.org to
> check it was unmoderated for all CTM lists, but it didn't fix it.
>
> freebsd.org continues to fail, wasting moderators at freebsd.org time & my time.
>
> Fri, 16 Aug 2019 05:33:34 +0200 I announced:
>> Now carries all CTM delta mail lists also carried by
>> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo
>
> One might think "Better to stay with the original lists on FreeBSD",
> But not so: The data path was never just on freebsd.org:
>   Earlier it was freebsd.org SVN mirror to CTM generator scripts
>   on missouri.edu; then back to lists on freebsd.org.
>   Now it's freebsd.org SVN mirror to CTM generator on berklix.org;
>   Then to both lists, on: berklix.org (OK) & freebsd.org (failing).
>   & some freebsd.org lists delay & break
>
> Best migrate your CTM delta subscriptions from freebsd.org to berklix.org
>
> In case of later illness or absence, I could now give a 2nd person
> access to manage CTM delta lists. Someone who values CTM & idealy
> also familiar with mailman admin.
>
> Cheers,
> Julian
> --
> Julian Stacey, Consultant Sys. Eng. BSD Linux Unix, Munich Aachen Kent.
> http://stolenvotes.uk#StopTheCoup http://berklix.org/brexit/#snouts_in_trough
> UK stole 3.7 M votes from Brits abroad; 2.4 M now > 18 had no vote; 1.6 M old
> [...]

I have checked again and all the moderator bits for all the ctm-* lists are off for your email address.  I don't know why it's not working for you.

I should point out that the FreeBSD Project has moved to Subversion more than eleven years ago and is actively looking into moving to Git.  There is a limit to how much time any of us are willing to put into keeping a hack around two revision control systems ago alive.

If it is easier for you to host CTM as a third-party service, I'm sure the doc team could be convinced to change any links in documentation accordingly.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer