No deltas via email anymore?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Jan 21 01:55:34 UTC 2010

Stephen McKay wrote:
> On Thursday, 21st January 2010, "Julian H. Stacey" wrote:
>
> >Reason I imagined it would bet better with an option on send,
> >& auto detect on receive:
> >
> >  There's perhaps people out there running CTM to distribute stuff
> >  other than FreeBSD source (other *BSD src, other data, some binary
> >  systems may have limited or no access to upgrade binaries except
> >  at release upgrade.
> >
> >  Such users might not be on this list, as this list is more for
> >  the FreeBSD patches than the programs as such. So ideally a CTM
> >  would have a format rev. no, & receivers would first be updated
> >  to dual capable auto detect of old & new format, then later senders
> >  would reduce length of CTM lines sent.
>
> ctm_rmail already works with any line length that is a multiple of 4.
> A change to 72 characters per line in ctm_smail does not require anyone
> to update ctm_rmail.  We should just do it.  It's safe.

Nice.

> In principle a revision number is a good thing for every file and
> transport format, but at this late stage I doubt any benefit would
> be gained by adding one to the ctm email format.

OK.

Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:

> This looks very easy to implement, namely change the line
> #define LINE_LENGTH     76
> in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ctm/ctm_smail
>
> So, would there be a problem with making this start right now?
>
> (Remember I make the detlas, so I can make this happen anytime.)

Sounds like you'd be safe to try it then :-)
	/usr/src/usr.sbin/ctm/ctm_smail/ctm_smail.c
	#define LINE_LENGTH     72
Should solve Andre's chopped sample he posted that folded after 75.
[Speaking as one end consumer], I'd be happy if you tried.

Andre may also need to get get his admins to turn off their conversion
to "quoted printable... Or
If he can't, I think there's a way in sendmail on local receive to
convert "quoted printable" back to straight 8 bit ?, (I've been
meaning to find time to look as I get "quoted printable" text mail
from MS using friends that's a pain to edit with vi).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com