Do you still want CTM?

Andre Albsmeier Andre.Albsmeier at siemens.com
Tue Aug 4 06:10:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 03-Aug-2009 at 23:03:59 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > On 2009-Aug-03 21:46:06 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:
>
> ?????? I am doing a "du -s" right now, but the directory structure of
> the complete cvs is pretty complicated, and it is taking a long time to
> finish.  For now, I am going to guess that it is perhaps a little less
> than 10G.
>
> > - How resource intensive is building the deltas?  If it's a dedicated
> >   box, what CPU/RAM does it have?
>
> I use my desktop, which is a fairly old DELL, 32 bit, 1G RAM, 2.6GHz.
> But the big bottleneck is the hard drive.
>
> When CTM is running, it really uses the disk heavily, and I try to time
> it to when I am not wanting to use the computer for regular activities
> (like surfing the web).  Each CTM run takes about 2 hours, and this
> happens 3 times a day.  I use fairly modern SATA drives, and that makes
> a huge difference.  Most of the time is spent updating cvs-cur.

Maybe there is room for improvement by spreading the work
over various disks intelligently. I don't know how the
delta generation works but I think stuff has to be checked
out and compared to the former version. So if one got three
disks:

1. holding the cvs Repository
2. checked out version #1
3. checked out version #2

things might get a big boost.

> > - What are the bandwidth requirements?
>
> You need enough bandwidth to be able to cvsup 3 times a day, and so that
> ftp-master can fetch the deltas.  The big deltas are the
> cvs-cur*xEmpty's, which are about 1G each in size, and new ones are
> created about once per month.

One could argue about the need of distributing cvs-cur and src-cur
and stay with the -STABLE branches and -ports. But this is just
my opinion and others' needs may be different ;-).

Also, it might be enough to run the process only once a day.

> > - How are the deltas forwarded out to the mail and FTP servers?
>
> The deltas are mailed directly from my computer to the mailing lists,
> using sendmail.

How many people are there on the lists? This might also give an
idea about the necessity supporting cvs-cur and src-cur.

Chances are low, but, anyway, I will ask a friend who is well
connected if we could arrange something...

Thanks,

	-Andre

> The FTP servers get the deltas via ftp-master fetching them via rsync.
> It does this about every 4 hours.

Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.