Many SCSI errors

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Jun 16 22:05:25 GMT 2004

"Petriz, Pablo" wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> This is my first post here.
>
> I saw the 'Many SCSI errors' post of Aug 19 2003 googling for scsi
> "Transmision error detected".
>
> That post has no replies, but the problem is the same as mine.
>
> My configuration is an INTEL SE7501BR2 (AIC-7901) with RH Linux 9 (2.40.20)
>
> The SCSI device is a Promise UltraTrak SX-8000 with 8 300GB Maxtor
> MaxlineII.

Ok, we stop here...
If you had searched for Promise, rm8000 or ultratrack on the mailing list [1]
you would have found many more answers. I have two RM8000's and one of them
gives me fits.

The first problem I had with it was the phase errors followed by I/O errors.

The first thing you should probably do is check is the firmware revision
installed on your ultratrack, if it's 1.1.0.5 (or was when you got it) then
good luck as the box that was on is the one which is still giving me grief.
You can upgrade[2] if you also have an msdos boot disk laying about, but you
should call promise and verify that they believe that is your problem.

 From the change log it looks like they use either the same firmware on both
the RM&SX8000 or most of the same files to build the firmware on both. If you
get something later than 1.1.0.30 out of them please let me know so I can beat
on them for it (currently my club arm is tired :).

BTW my hardrives are the Maxtor 6Y200P0 (200GB) drives, don't know if Promise
and Maxtor don't get along well for some reason.

> Everething was working fine for 25 days and then it began to fail (a snip of
> /var/log/messages is attached)

I get, so far, max 18 days for the one which causes trouble.

> We tried with the last rpm for the SCSI: aic79xx-2.0.10-rh90.i686.rpm but
> the
> problem persists.
>
> I´ll appreciate any help. Thanks,
>
> PABLO