aic7xxx_abort returns 0x2002 for HP tape changer

Thomas Richter richter at chemie.de
Tue Jan 6 10:31:17 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> > after upgrading from SuSE 8.1 to 9.0 (i.e. from linux 2.4.20 w/ aic7xxx
> > 6.2.8 to linux 2.4.21 w/ aic7xxx 6.2.36) an external tape changer (HP
> > SureStore DAT24x6e) connected to an Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W started to
> > misbehave.  About one out of two attempts to change the tape fail with a
> > rather long dump in the syslog (see below).  Reading/writing to the tape
> > works just fine.  Anybody knows what's going on and how to fix it?
>
> According to the driver messages, the changer has been issued a command
> and has failed to reconnect to complete the command within the given
> timeout period.  My guess is that the *timeout* values used for changer
> commands were somehow lowered during the upgrade and that if more time
> were given to the changer, the command would eventually complete.
> [...]

Thanks, that put me on the right track:  HZ changed from 100 to 1000, the
sg driver expects values relative to that and the program used to drive
the changer (mtx) didn't adapt.  So the 5 minutes timout it asked for
where really just 30 seconds - too quick for the changer.  Easy to fix and
not really related to aic7xxx.  Sorry to bother you and thanks again.

-- Thomas Richter