Question About Bus Speeds (and SCSI in general)

Sarnath Kannan stellium_79 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 21:26:48 PST 2003

Hi,

>dmesg output:
>
>scsi0 : IBM PCI ServeRAID 5.10.21  <ServeRAID 3H>
>   Vendor: IBM       Model: SERVERAID         Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Vendor: IBM       Model: SERVERAID         Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Vendor: IBM       Model: SERVERAID         Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Vendor: IBM       Model: SAF-TE            Rev: 2
>   Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
>SCSI device sda: 17772544 512-byte hdwr sectors (9100 MB)
>Partition check:
>  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 >
>SCSI device sdb: 71686144 512-byte hdwr sectors (36703 MB)
>  sdb: sdb1 sdb2
>scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
>         <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter>
>         aic7895C: Ultra Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
>
>scsi2 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.8
>         <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter>
>         aic7895C: Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
>

>Is this saying that I have three SCSI busses?

Yes. SCSI bus0 hangs from the "IBM PCI ServeRAID 5.10.21" HBA. SDA and SDB
are attached to this HBA. The aic7xxx cards are only ULTRA capable(Check out
the dmesg) and as I see there are no SCSI device in their BUS. You need not
worry about AIC7xxx at all.. So I guess you need to check out the setting of
"IBM PCI .." HBA.

I have not worked much with RAID controllers and I have assumed that the IBM
servraid HBA is independent of the AIC7xxx cards. Let me know if my
assumptions are wrong.
-
Sarnath