problems on redhat 9

Jon.Soong at imvs.sa.gov.au Jon.Soong at imvs.sa.gov.au
Tue Dec 9 23:09:10 PST 2003

Hi there,

I'm really struggling here. I am trying to get an Adaptec 79160 PCI card working
with a Promise RM4000 UltraTrak.

I tried using a stock RedHat9 install to no avail, and i am now trying to use
the 6.3.3 release from (http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/) which i
installed using RPM.

However whatever i do, its no good.

The module loads fine during boot up, telling me that version 6.3.3 is loading
ok. I then create a partition on the disk using fdisk, however when i try to
format the partition it hangs during 'Writing inodes'. After a while a get a
whole bunch of SCSI errors down my screen. e.g.:

> sg[0] - Addr 0x68b2000 : Length 4096
> sg[101] - Addr 0x683f000 : Length 4096
> Recovery SCB completes
> scsi0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 32 SCBs aborted

Things i have tried:
 1. tried adding options aic7xxx aic7xxx='"verbose"'
into modules.conf, but this doesn't seem to give more information).