Adaptec 2930U

Richard Reina Richard at RushLogistics.com
Mon Oct 1 13:41:19 PDT 2001

I am having some trouble getting the aic7xxx driver working.  I used
make menuconfig and selected "M" for the aic7xxx driver and for SCSI
tape support ( since my ultimate goal is to get my new DAT drive
installed ) SCSI support was already built into my original kernel.
 Because I do not want to do a full install until I get the the tape
drive installed and back up my data, I did the following.

make clean
make dep
make modules
make modules_install

When I try
# modprobe aic7xxx

I get several error messages similar to this:

unresolved symbol scsi_partsize_7e31a8

Module-HOWTO says that this is caused because "CONFIG_MODVERSIONS" is
enabled.  However, it also says that if your kernel was originally
configured with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS you must enable this option when you
add modules.  It does not tell you how you can get around the unresolved
symbols problem.  If any on can help I would greatly appreciate it as I
am anxious to get the tape drive installed so that I can back up my data.

Richard